Monday, September 29, 2008

Doctors Appointment

Well, Rowan had his 4 month check up today. He is not handling his shots as well as he did at his 2 month check up. He is a lot more fussy but I know it will pass. He is 13lbs 6ozs and 25.5 inches long. The MD said that he is in the 25th percentile for weight (which is fine) and the top percentile in height. So anyone who knows his daddy is not surprised that Rowan is tall and skinny!
The only bad thing that came from the appointment was that the MD said he has a misshapened head because he sleeps on his back and so it is flatter on his right side. She really wants us to get a helmet to reshape his head, but I am going to get a second opinion and we are going to spend a lot more time making sure his head is on his left side (which since he is a very relaxed and calm baby) has not been a problem today. I would much rather do something that didn't required a helmet. But only time will tell.
One other thing that came up was him rolling over. I found that a lot of babies will roll over because when they are on their tummies they get fussy and flail about and end up throwing themselves to their back. Well...Rowan, of course, has to be different and when he gets fussy he lets his arms fall to the side and sits their crying. He doesn't flail or move he just lays their!! I will have to get a video because he looks like a fish that has just given up! Its really funny! But we are still working on him. He does love to stand and sit up right now.
It is crazy to see how much he is growing. I will get some pics on here soon for comparison

3 comments:

PITT STOP said...

there is no need for a helmet just yet, now maybe if he was 8 or so months and has a odd shaped head then maybe I would get a helmet, but it should get better when he starts rolling around. I remember when Braiden was younger I was never told to rotate his head when he slept, so naturally he ended up with one side flatter than the other, it did eventually round it self out when he rolled, then walked. The skull doesn't fully harden until 2 (so I am told). If the doc really insists and if the insurance comp. covers it then go for it.

Timber said...

4 months seems a bit early to be worrying about a misshapen head, unless it's REALLY bad, which I doubt it is. I'd definitely get another opinion.

You also might want to use European growth charts. USA growth charts use information on formula fed babies, not breast fed. The WHO charts use data from breast fed babies:

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/

Breast fed babies are naturally smaller (the way they should be!). :)

Jackson Family said...

Hey Jenn!
No worries about the head thing. He looked fine this morning. I agree that if it were like that and he was 8 or so months, then I would worry, but right now, just relax!
Love ya girl!

p.s. what's the address to the science place?